This week in Other Barks & Bites: The Federal Circuit issues several precedential decisions, including one reviving the patent claims in VirnetX and another determining that America Invents Act (AIA) validity trials don’t violate the Fifth Amendment’s Takings Clause in Celgene. This week in Other Barks & Bites: The Federal Circuit issues several precedential decisions, including one reviving the patent claims in VirnetX and another determining that America Invents Act (AIA) validity trials don’t violate the Fifth Amendment’s Takings Clause in Celgene; the USPTO proposes fee increases to patent examination and AIA trials and issues a final rule on e-filing in trademark registrations; Katy Perry is ordered to pay $2.7 million for copyright infringement; free OTA TV service Locast is targeted in a copyright suit filed by Disney and other major broadcasters; Pfizer and Mylan consider creating a global giant in off-patent drugs; the University of California files patent suits against major retailers over LED light bulb technology; and patent applications listing artificial intelligence machine inventor are filed in patent offices across the world.
- (Not) Copyright Infringement: Is dbrand Infringing Nintendo’s IP?
- The Transmissibility of Information: How Your Trade Secrets Are Like a Virus
- Examining Antitrust Guidance on Cooperation in Fighting COVID-19
- Everything Depends on Coronavirus R&D Partnerships—Don’t Let the Critics Wreck Them
- Boys Will Be Boys: Getting a Foot in the Funding Door for Women Entrepreneurs
- This Week in Washington IP: Reconsidering the DMCA Takedown System, Bridging Gaps in Federal Data Privacy Legislation, and Developing Technologies for Inclusive Cities
- Caldwell IP Law Seeks Patent Attorney or Agent to Join its Boston Office
- Other Barks & Bites for Friday, May 29: USPTO Extends Filing Deadlines, PTAB Proposes New Rules Under SAS Institute and China IP Cases Up 5,660% in Two Decades
- Eleventh Circuit Finds ENGINEERED TAX SERVICES Mark Inherently Distinctive
- Section 512 Report Suggests Fine-Tuning Knowledge and Eligibility Requirements for DMCA Safe Harbors