The season has changed, and so follows your home decor. Decorating for the chillier fall months means incorporating warm and inviting colors and textures into your home’s interior design, specifically in the kitchen.
Try these four tips to create a cozier kitchen for fall.
Weave in dark textiles
Fall means decorating with gorgeously textured throws, pillows and table linens. Introduce your kitchen to an autumnal palette using dark, natural window coverings and similar table linens for a cozy effect. This look juxtaposes raw texture with soft details like fresh fruit, warm place mats and smooth surfaces.
Bank on butcher block
Found most often in farmhouse-style or rustic homes, butcher block is great for countertops and tables because it’s durable and looks better the longer you have it.
If you’re thinking about switching out your countertop, consider butcher block for a warm, inviting feel. If you don’t want to commit to a full countertop, try a large cutting board or table to add earthiness to your kitchen.
Add pops of color
If your kitchen has a blank space or accent wall, consider painting it for an inviting scene. For the fall season, you can choose to use warmer, darker colors like a deep red, warm orange, or olive or brown tone.
Don’t want to paint an entire wall? Select a piece of art or two featuring deep and rich colors to create a cozy ambiance. You could even paint your cabinets or counters.
Nurture indoor plants
Houseplants are always good go-to decorations because they require little upkeep and add a touch of freshness to any space. They are particularly useful in the fall because they can double as herb gardens or unique decor.
Install a small indoor garden on your window sill or on a shelf near a window to have easy access to fresh rosemary, sage, and basil, even when the weather might not call for gardening.
While these suggestions may seem small, they are great touch-ups to boost your festive theme this fall season. Add one or two, or mix all of the design tips for a home-sweet-home feel.
- Our New, Old Kitchen: How We Rose to the Remodeling Challenge
- These Stylish Floors Will Make You Rethink Your Renovation Plans
- 5 Retro Decorating Trends That Deserve a Comeback
Originally published October 2015.
- Senate Judiciary Committee Advances Legislation to Reduce Drug Prices, Rein in Pharma Industry Practices
- Federal Circuit Nixes Appeal on Claims of Unfair Treatment by California Court in Pro Se Lawsuit Over Restrictions to Cancer Research
- The Washington Football Team’s Trademark Journey: Over the Bumps and Full Speed Ahead
- This Week in Washington IP: Energizing Technology Transfer, Case Studies in International Offshore Wind Innovation and Celebrating 75 Years of the Lanham Act
- ‘AISITAs’ and Written Description Requirements: Considerations and Guidance for AI Patent Applications