The Federal Circuit recently reversed a decision of the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (Board) finding claims of a patent owned by PersonalWeb Technologies, LLC to be invalid. Apple, Inc. (Apple) petitioned for inter partes review (IPR), and the Board found certain claims of the patent to be invalid as obvious in light of two references. The Federal Circuit reversed, holding the Board provided insufficient evidence to support a finding of inherency. Pers. Web Techs., LLC v. Apple, Inc., No. 2018-1599, 2019 U.S. App. LEXIS 6919 (Fed. Cir. Mar. 8, 2019) (Before Moore, Taranto, and Chen, Circuit Judges) (Opinion for the Court, Chen, Circuit Judge).
- Petition Seeks Rare En Banc Review to Clarify Whether PTAB Can Overrule Article III Courts
- Other Barks & Bites, Friday, October 18: USPTO Updates Subject Matter Eligibility Guidelines, China Receives Half of 2018 Global Patent Filings, US Inventor to Host Rally
- Professors Brief Capitol Hill Staffers on Proposal to Weed Out ‘Bad Patents’
- PTAB Invalidates Nasdaq Patent Claims on Automated Securities Trading in Series of CBMs
- How Foreign Patent Infringers Are Subject to Jurisdiction in the United States