In the height of summer, your backyard or porch is headquarters for family time and date night alike. Combine both, and cue up a movie on your DIY movie screen for a staycation highlight.
A bedsheet or table cloth affixed to a fence or wall plays projection screen, and your at-home projector makes movie magic.
Setting up a snack station with seasoned popcorn and traditional concession stand candies will win over guests of all ages.
Creating a homemade touch is a nice way to personalize the experience. Gather a few common household materials – canvas dropcloth, painters’ tape, fabric-safe paint and a roller – and you can craft a custom blanket that feels expensive but only costs a few dollars. The stripes lend a nautical look that let this throw pull double duty as a beach blanket or picnic spread.
Whether you choose action, comedy or thriller, your backyard movie night is sure to be a hit.
Want more tips from Douglas? Watch more home entertaining and design videos.
- Set Up Your Patio for the Best Summer Ever
- 9 Budget-Friendly Staycation Ideas for Families
- Throw an Outdoor Dinner Party With a Beachy Vibe
Originally published September 2016.
- Laser Lessons: Has the Supreme Court Undermined Pioneering Laser Patents?
- Other Barks and Bites for Friday, December 1: Senators Discuss AI and Intellectual Property; EU Report Finds 86 Million Fake Items Were Detained Last Year; USPTO Releases New China IP Rights Toolkit
- IP Goes Pop! – Lessons From Movies About Innovators
- Patently Strategic Podcast: Patenting Games
- Understanding IP Matters: Piracy or Policy? Maintaining U.S. Technology Leadership in the Digital Age