(Apr. 15, 2020) Last week, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) released its 2019 statistics, recording 2019 as its best year for intellectual property (IP) services, treaties, and finances since WIPO’s creation in 1967. It also announced that in 2019, China surpassed the United States as the top filer of international patents—the first time any country has filed more applications with WIPO’s Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) System than the U.S. since PCT operations began in 1978.
In addition, WIPO’s Arbitration and Mediation Center (WIPO Center) administered a record number of trademark domain name disputes in 2019. WIPO’s Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy system has administered over 46,000 cases since its inception in 1999, and is widely considered an efficient and cost-effective method to resolve internet disputes.
WIPO is a United Nations (UN) agency with 193 member states that provides a global forum for IP services, policy, information, and cooperation. WIPO is unique among UN agencies because it is largely self-funded through services it provides to industry and the private sector as well as through revenue generated by the WIPO Center.
- WIPO Director General Daren Tang on Expanding IP Access to Women, Youth and Emerging Economies
- The Emperors’ New Codes: Understanding IP Community Ambivalence Toward Digital Assets
- USTR Suspends Review of Ukraine, Remains Concerned with China in Latest Special 301 Report
- Examining the Circuit Split on Preliminary Injunctions in False Advertising Post-eBay
- NAPA to Take On Tillis’ Unified IP Office Study
- Day One of Patent Litigation Masters: We Must Become Ambassadors for the U.S. Patent System Again
- USTR Needs to Step Up Trade Enforcement
- IP Practice Vlogs: Claiming Foreign Priority – An Overview of Patent Cooperation Treaty, Paris Convention and Patent Prosecution Highway Practice
- Other Barks & Bites for Friday, May 20: CAFC Remands No Case or Controversy Determination to Eastern Texas, Ninth Circuit Rules 2018 Farm Act Legalized Delta-8 THC Trademarks, and EU Commission Directs Member States to Codify Copyright Rules
- CAFC Gives Google Second Shot at PTAB in Challenge of Communications Patents