(Apr. 15, 2020) Last week, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) released its 2019 statistics, recording 2019 as its best year for intellectual property (IP) services, treaties, and finances since WIPO’s creation in 1967. It also announced that in 2019, China surpassed the United States as the top filer of international patents—the first time any country has filed more applications with WIPO’s Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) System than the U.S. since PCT operations began in 1978.
In addition, WIPO’s Arbitration and Mediation Center (WIPO Center) administered a record number of trademark domain name disputes in 2019. WIPO’s Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy system has administered over 46,000 cases since its inception in 1999, and is widely considered an efficient and cost-effective method to resolve internet disputes.
WIPO is a United Nations (UN) agency with 193 member states that provides a global forum for IP services, policy, information, and cooperation. WIPO is unique among UN agencies because it is largely self-funded through services it provides to industry and the private sector as well as through revenue generated by the WIPO Center.
- New USPTO Tool Aims to Help IP Newbies Identify Their Rights
- Report Calls Out Cloudflare for Facilitating Piracy, Counterfeits
- Blockish IP: The Top IP Events That Affected Emerging Technologies in 2022
- What’s in Store for IP in 2023? Here’s What IPWatchdog Readers are Keeping on Their Radar
- Eleventh Circuit Rules for Viacom in FLORA-BAMA Trademark Case
- StarrAI Night: AI Art and the Necessary Changes in the Copyright Law
- Other Barks & Bites for Friday, February 3: Trump Sues for Copyright Infringement, Google Wins Transfer from TX to CA, and Nike Takes Lululemon to Court for Patent Infringement
- Revolution Rope Inventor Tells Justices She Deserves Her Day in Article III Court
- The USPTO Claims it Wants to Ensure ‘Robust and Reliable’ Patents – But Its Questions Imply Another Assault on Patent Owners
- USPTO Issues Final Rule to Eliminate CLE Certification Program