Last week, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) issued 51 institution decisions, with denials narrowly edging out institutions by a 26-25 margin. In a decision on six Apple petitions, the PTAB terminated the consumer electronics giant’s challenges as time-barred; Apple had sought joinder to an already-terminated proceeding brought by Samsung. Elsewhere, Apple did successfully team up with Samsung and LG Electronics to challenge two patents owned by non-practicing entity Uniloc. Comcast had five petitions challenging a Rovi patent denied, but succeeded on one petition, which included seven obviousness challenges on that same Rovi patent. Expedia and various Internet travel booking websites lost out on a challenge to an IBM patent based on arguments already considered by the PTAB. Peloton Interactive also faces the potential invalidation of claims of three patents after a trio of successful institutions for Flywheel Sports.
- IPWatchdog LIVE 2023 Recap: Video of Judge Newman’s Powerful Remarks and What Sets the LIVE Meeting Apart
- New USPTO Paneling Guidance for TTAB and PTAB Requires Disclosure of Financial Interests Regardless of Dollar Value
- Implementer Arguments at the USPTO Public Listening Session on Standards Ignore Business Realities
- A ‘Disgraceful and Insulting’ Decision: Judicial Council Officially Suspends Newman for One Year, Claiming ‘Serious Misconduct’
- Vidal Stresses Importance of Transparency and Integrity in Agency Decision-Making on Final Day of IPWatchdog LIVE