Last week, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) issued 31 decisions related to petitions for inter partes review (IPR) proceedings, instituting 14 IPRs and denying the other 17. Although Comcast saw a total of 11 IPR petitions denied institution, it succeeded on another six petitions, successfully initiating challenges of all four patents for which it sought review. Ten of the IPR petitions were part of the telecom giant’s ongoing legal battle with Rovi Guides. Unified Patents saw two of its IPR petitions denied, but the PTAB instituted two others. Another two IPRs, filed by a trio of major tech giants, were also instituted after the patent owner opted against responding to the asserted grounds for invalidity.
- Petition Seeks Rare En Banc Review to Clarify Whether PTAB Can Overrule Article III Courts
- Other Barks & Bites, Friday, October 18: USPTO Updates Subject Matter Eligibility Guidelines, China Receives Half of 2018 Global Patent Filings, US Inventor to Host Rally
- Professors Brief Capitol Hill Staffers on Proposal to Weed Out ‘Bad Patents’
- PTAB Invalidates Nasdaq Patent Claims on Automated Securities Trading in Series of CBMs
- How Foreign Patent Infringers Are Subject to Jurisdiction in the United States