The en banc U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has ultimately sided with Led Zeppelin in a long-running case examining whether the opening notes of the band’s legendary song “Stairway to Heaven” infringed the song “Taurus,” written by Robert Wolfe of the band Spirit, a contemporary of Led Zeppelin. Michael Skidmore, Trustee for Wolfe’s estate, brought the original suit in 2014. The Court notably struck down its own “inverse ratio rule,” which dictates that there is “a lower standard of proof of substantial similarity when a high degree of access is shown,” as set out in the 2000 case of Three Boys Music Corp. v. Bolton. In September 2018, a three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit vacated-in-part the judgment of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California that “Stairway to Heaven” was not substantially similar to “Taurus”. The case was remanded back to the district court after the appellate court found that certain instructions given by the district court to the jury were erroneous and prejudicial. However, the Court agreed to rehear the case en banc in June 2019.
- Computer Law
- Fair Use
- First Sale Doctrine
- (Not) Copyright Infringement: Is dbrand Infringing Nintendo’s IP?
- Social Media Influencers Beware – Street Art Is Protected by Copyright
- Senator Thom Tillis: If IP Stakeholders Can’t Find Consensus, Congress Can’t Help
- Copyright Lawyers on SCOTUS Decision in Georgia v. Public.Resource.Org: Expected, But Possibly Problematic
- A Cosmic Copyright Conundrum: ‘Star Trek,’ Space Force, SCOTUS and Blackbeard’s Shipwreck
- Defensive Publications: A Cost-Effective Tool to Supplement Your Patent Strategy
- A Stylized Word Mark in One Country May Be Too Simple and Common in Another
- Other Barks & Bites for Friday, May 22: Copyright Office Issues Section 512 Safe Harbor Report, CAFC Denies Review of PTAB Institution Decision and Director Iancu on Possible Filing Deadline Extension
- CAFC Finds Claim for Delivery Notification System Abstract as Directed to a Longstanding Commercial Practice
- PTAB Institution Data Analysis Proves That Reforms Have Failed