Our recent IPR Intelligence report covers the inter partes review (IPR) filing activity at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) from July 1, 2016, through June 30, 2021. Over the period of our study (July 1, 2016, through June 30, 2021) a total of 7,582 IPR petitions were filed, which shows a 1.6% decline compared to the five-year period we covered in our fourth annual report last year (July 1, 2015, through June 30, 2020). Nine-hundred and thirty law firms have represented patent owners and petitioners, while 5,341 attorneys worked for these firms. In the last five years, 2,658 companies have been involved in one or more IPRs, out of which 1,275 were on the petitioner’s side and 1,630 were patent owners.
- Understanding IP Matters: Piracy or Policy? Maintaining U.S. Technology Leadership in the Digital Age
- AI and Trade Secrets: A Winning Combination
- A New Era of Copyright Litigation in Hollywood: Revisiting Pirates of the Caribbean One Year Later
- Federal Circuit Vacates TTAB Decision as Arbitrary and Capricious
- ‘I Want to Thank You’: Who and What IP Stakeholders are Giving Thanks for This Year